Monday, June 23, 2014

There have been complaints...

And I'm sorry. I know, I know, all the stuff I've been giving you lately is so old! I promise I'm trying to catch up as fast as I can, hang in there with me!

EDIT: Make sure you read all the way to the end, I forgot something very important that I added down there!

But for today, suddenly I have had so many people asking me about working at home and what I do, that I thought I'd do a post telling you all about it.



When I was a kid and people would ask me what I wanted to be when I grew up, all I could think of is that I wanted to be a mom. I wanted to be the one to be home taking care of my kids, watching them grow, and teaching them the things I think are important in life. Fast forward to when I finally was able to get pregnant with my Sweetheart, I had a fun job working for an airline. I worked in their main office helping to do updates to their website and test out new software. This was a great job and I really enjoyed it, but I knew that I still wanted to be home taking care of my sweet baby. The problem is that we didn't have the money for me to be able to stay home, I would need to have some sort of income, too.

I had been looking around for something I could do at home, and I was lucky enough to have a friend tell me about Career Step. I had heard of medical transcription and knew it was a job you could do at home, but there were a lot of scams out there. It was wonderful to have a friend tell me about her good experience, get information about a legitimate school, and to know that it is actually possible to get a job in this field.

It took me longer than I had hoped to finish up my schooling, but that was my own fault. The school is at your own pace, and when you don't sit down to work on it, you won't get anything done. The first day I had to leave my baby and go back to work in the office, my heart broke. I knew she was in good hands (she got to hang out with my sister), but it was so hard not to be able to look at her sweet face anytime I wanted, to feed her and snuggle her. When I finally decided to buckle down and work through it, I was able to finish my schooling in just a few months!

This school is also fantastic because when you are done, they help you get a job! They help you polish up your resume and cover letter and make them perfect, then they give you lists and lists of companies to apply to. I had a job within 3 weeks of graduating!

A typical day for me now includes waking early to exercise, getting breakfast for me and my girls, showering and getting ready for the day, then walking to my basement in my bare feet to snuggle in a blanket while I work. I can stop for a moment to listen to a story, dress a doll, or kiss an owie. I have arranged my schedule so I can still take them to storytime at the library and piano lessons, and be there to pick them up after school. I also get to rotate laundry on my breaks and throw food in the slow cooker at lunchtime. I love so much that I get to be here taking care of these sweet girls and our home!

Of course, not everything is always perfect. It's still a job, and you don't get paid if you don't work. It still takes time, and there are times I have to sacrifice things I want to do because I have to be working. There are also some days that I can tell my girls need more of me, and of course those are the days that work is super busy and I feel like I barely get to glance up from my laptop. This also isn't a job that is going to make you rich. You are paid based on what you produce, so especially at first you really don't make much. But now that I've been doing this for a few years my paycheck is pretty similar to what I was making at the airline.

I love to talk about this stuff, so if you have any questions, please feel free to email me, Emily@marquisnemily.com, I would love to help!

Otherwise, if you have ever had an interest in working at home, I encourage you to click here and take a peek!

EDIT:  I forgot to tell you the best part! If you enroll by the end of June, they are taking up to $500 off the cost of tuition! Make sure you ask about this!

No comments: